Swing into Spring at Stonehill River Lodge
Surrounded by Milkwood trees and giant aloes, this idyllic setting is the perfect pit-stop for families and groups of friends seeking self-catering accommodation in Swellendam. With these magnificent mountain views, waking up in the morning has never been easier.
ACTIVITIES & FACILITIES
Venture out on a 2 - 3 hour trip down the Breede River in two-man inflatable canoes, also referred to as "crocs". They are more buoyant than standard canoes, so you’re less likely to get wet. This child-friendly activity is offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and bookings can be made in advance. All croc paddling trips are subject to weather conditions.
Meet the Fairies
Do you believe in fairies? Even if you don't, a visit to Sulina Faerie Sanctuary in Swellendam may change your mind. Once you get through the front gate, you’ll be welcomed with friendly faces, who will lead you through lush gardens to visit the community of colourful, quirky and mischievous fairies. This one-of-a-kind fairy sanctuary is a must for all travellers passing through Swellendam, especially families with young kids.
Bontebok National Park
Spend time exploring an untouched wilderness at the Bontebok National Park. The smallest of South Africa’s national parks, Bontebok NP may not be home to the Big 5, but guests will be rewarded with such species as eland, springbok and zebra, as well as the antelope after which the national park has been called. Twitchers will adore the bird-viewing opportunities with 126 different bird species endemic to the park. The roads are easy to navigate, the scenery peaceful and pleasant – just right for a picnic next to the river, a relaxed bike ride or hike, complete with a quick, refreshing dip in the Breede River.
Besides the quirky art stalls, coffee shops and galleries, the Drostdy Museum offers a fascinating glimpse into its history of Swellendam from the Dutch East India period. The Saturday morning market known as the Under the Oaks Village Market, offers up a slice of South African country living, with traditional fare, homemade arts and crafts, soaps and sweets. Be sure to visit JW’s Beekeeping Honey & Equipment shop where you can view a hive of honey bees buzzing about their business behind a glass enclosure.
- Accommodation is subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis.
- Please note that overcrowding of rooms will not be permitted and the maximum occupancy as reflected in the confirmation letter includes children of all ages. Should the maximum occupancy be exceeded the resort shall have no alternative but to insist that the number of guests exceeding the maximum immediately leave the resort or book alternative rooms
- The booking will be confirmed with a confirmation letter and the confirmation letter must be produced on check-in at the resort, and failing such the resort may refuse admittance.
- Only the guests whose name appears on the confirmation letter will be permitted occupation.
- The resort may, for practical reasons if deemed necessary, be required to change the location of the Guests unit and reserves the right to assign a different unit without prior notice.
- Articles of display, equipment or guest property brought on to the resort premises are not covered by the resort insurance policy and are brought onto the resort premises at the sole risk of the guest. Although the resort endeavour to take the utmost care at all times, it does not accept liability for loss of and / or damage to such items and / or property.